While spring may be right around the corner, it’s still pretty chilly here in Indiana. For months I’ve been experimenting with the perfect bullet coffee, which is my go to drink to keep me warm during the cold winter months. If you aren’t familiar with bullet coffee, let me explain. Bullet coffee is your traditional coffee but with healthy fat added to it via butter or coconut oil. The added ingredient gives you the necessary fat to both keep your metabolism steady and keep you feeling full throughout the day. And for those of us who follow a low sugar/ high fat (or Paleo, Keto, Atkins, etc) diet, this warm and yummy drink is a favorite. It may sound strange at first to add butter to your coffee, but trust me it is delicious!
The reason this coffee is traditionally called “Bullet Coffee” is because normally the steps to make it include mixing the hot coffee with the butter or coconut oil in a Bullet or other type of mixer. This ensures that the oil does not sit on top of the coffee but rather gets truly infused into the coffee. The thing is this step has always driven me crazy: it makes a huge mess, and often by the time I mix all the ingredients together and then pour it into my mug the coffee can be lukewarm. So when I set out to make the PERFECT BULLET COFFEE I knew I wanted to not only develop a scrumptious recipe but also a solution to the mess and extra time the step in the bullet creates.
One day I was watching a video when I saw someone making a latte with a handheld frother and it dawned on me, the frother could be the solution to mix the coffee with the butter/coconut oil with less mess and time! So I tried it out and sure enough it’s the perfect life hack for those who love bullet coffee! I learned the hard way not to fill the cup up too high but once I got that balance down, the PowerLix frother I purchased from Amazon helped me make the perfect cup!
When working on my recipe, I wanted to make something that resembled my favorite Salted Caramel Mocha from Starbucks. Using pink himalayan rock salt ended up being the ideal ingredient to give it that special flavor. And for the “caramel” flavor, the butter or coconut oil already give the drink that buttery, smooth taste. Find my recipe below!
- K cup coffee of your choice
- Real whipping cream (straight from the carton)
- Splenda, stevia, or other sugar free additive as desired
- Coconut Oil or real butter
- Pink himalayan rock salt
- Make your cup of coffee via a keurig or as desired (don’t fill the cup up too much or it will spill when you use the frother so use an extra tall mug)
- Add sweetener and/or cream as desired
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of butter or coconut oil
- Use frother to stir the coffee right in your mug. You may have to start and stop some to keep the drink from spilling, but it will nicely mix the ingredients
- Add just a small pinch of the himalayan rock salt